If you're looking for a way to pass the time that's engaging and educational check out our recommendations for music related learning apps. These are perfect for long car rides and the occasional quarantines.
1. Note Rush: Simple and effective. Build your note reading skills as you play through the levels. The app hears what you play. https://www.noterushapp.com/
2. The Most Addicting Sheep Game for iOS: Great game to develop feeling for rhythm. Indeed addicting and hugely valuable. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/the-most-addicting-sheep-game/id550921301
3. Dustbuster for iOS: Think Rockband for beginning keyboard skills. There's some free content but requires a subscription. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/piano-dust-buster-by-joytunes/id502356539
4. Flash Note Derby for either Android or iOS: A replacement for traditional flashcards. Great to use when you're not at a piano. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/flashnote-derby/id453126527
5. Rhythm Swing for either Android or iOS. Great way to practice reading rhythms with cool animations.
6. LOOPIMAL for iOS. Inspiring game that develops creativity for music and programing. Great for any age to create their own music. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/loopimal-by-yatatoy/id964743113
7. Minimood Model D Synthesizer: For students interested in learning about synths and sound design this app is tons of fun. https://www.moogmusic.com/products/minimoog-model-d-synthesizer-app
8. iKaossilator from Korg: Incredibly cool app for creating your own electronic music. Great tool to learn all kinds of interesting scales as well. https://www.korg.com/us/products/software/ikaossilator/
Will Armstrong is the founder of WillYouLearn. He's a professional pianist with over 20 years of teaching experience.